Sunday, April 5, 2009

“ThE FiRsT MeeTiNG”

The first meeting with my supervisor; Dr Nooreen Noordin is meaningful. I am curious about the assignment -research paper. The first thing that she talks about is the format of the paper. According to Dr Nooreen, the paper should have introduction, author's background, the synopsis, the analysis as well as the conclusioin. My questions are; is there any list of the texts that we should work on? What if she is unfamiliar with the texts? And what should we focus on -characterization or language for example? Her answer is simple but convincing. She said that the paper should focus on our interest -work on characterization or setting if we find it interesting. If she is unfamiliar with the texts, she will find other ways to comprehend the texts first before evaluating our paper -that mean she will search for synopsis, or if possible read the text. Her expectation for the paper is that we need to analyze three aspects in the texts. For example, if the paper is about women in patriarchal society, we can study the eements of oppression, abuse and serach for independence in the texts. She is considerate that she shows us some samples of the analysis done by our senior which eable us to discuss more among ourselves about the analysis and the implication of the research on education. Indeed, I think it is great to have a glimpse of what Dr. Nooreen expects from us.

Apart from all these, I walk out of the room where we meent for the first time with pre-occupations. I keep thinking in mind the kind of texts that interest me and how my research will make a different from other as well as the implication on education or teaching. As I already work on feminist approach in my position paper, I think it would be interesting for my writing development to use another approach for the research paper. Jiayou! (Japanese)

No comments:

Post a Comment