Saturday, April 4, 2009

ViSiTiNG MaLaCCa

Just listening to the idea of integrating the art in literature classroom is just not enough for me. One day, Dr Edwin suggested a trip to Melaka, visiting Mr Tham Siew Inn’s gallery; an artist as well as a poet. My feelings? of course, I am so excited to know more about this person and curious about his experiences and development as an artist and poet.

My impression towards his gallery is small, cosy and rich with memories. I am so amused by his works -his paintings and his poems. His paintings vary from different themes -people and scenery. Mr Tham showed us around, explaining what his works were about and where in the world that he has been to -there are a picture of him drawing on Mount Everest. To my shock, he drew all those buildings scenery free-hand and without even sketching first. I agree with Amanda that it show how much experience he has. During the visit, he taught us on how to interpret certain paintings. according to him, the correct way to look into the paintings depending on the size of the paintings -if it is huge, you should look at a longer distant that the small one.

The most precious lesson that I have learn during the visit is that art is just like literature -in a way that it provide a space for ‘freedom’ interpretation. Through art and literature, people capture their observation as well as experiences using the words and brush in order to offer different perspective to others.

All in all, it is a very interesting and beneficial trip for me, as well as future teaching profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment