Sunday, April 5, 2009

“FrEeDom WRiTeRS”

Very inspiring I must say. The movie inspires me as a future English language teacher to make a difference. The students in the movie are racist and they demand equality for every citizen. I think the same scenario also happened in our country, though it is not so obvious. My experience as a substitution teacher in one of the government secondary school, the headmaster comments that there are racial clicks in the school. Chinese students prefer to be with the same race as for them the Indians are too rough and the Malays are lazy. We have to accept that our students are also racist themselves, though the phenomenon is not crucial as in the movie. besides, it is also mentioned in the movie about the "Holocaust victims and survivors". Maybe he most horror incident -May 13th- will be a great lesson for the students.

Other than that, I truly agree with the idea of providing journal for students to write. The effectiveness is undeniable. however, I would like to suggest for English language teachers to fully manipulate the Internet as integration for language learning. Perhaps forum and blog can be more interesting in this technology era. In my opinion, the forum and blog are the revolution of using journal in classroom. Both, methods are a great way to encourage students to write, as they do not have the fear of being evaluated; plus it is good way for students to express themselves. hence, I'd like to thank Dr. Edwin for opening my eyes of the benefits on using forum and blog in the language classroom. Last but not least, I hope I can be like Erin Gruwell, inspiring students to be whatever they want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment